Monday, December 14, 2009

tourismatism + sightings

There are so many field trips happening this week.  

Today we went on a tour to the Library in the Executive Office of the President.  This involved visits to both the new Executive Office Building as well as the Eisenhower Executive Office Building (EEOB or State, War and Navy Building as it was originally known).  Unfortunately, we didn't get to see the Indian Treaty Room.  The Law Library is on the 5th floor of the EEOB and made mainly from cast iron.  It has 3 levels and some very ornate metalwork. 



You can't really see it in this picture, but up at the very top, just below the skylight there is a very lovely terracotta acorn and oak leaf motif.  The floor tiles are a fairly elaborate, though worn, mosaic that includes a lot of butterflies.  Basically, it's the kind of library that were I someday to be very very wealthy, I would want as my own (although perhaps sans butterflies).  

Also, remember that Indian actor, Kal Penn, who played Kumar and was on House for a little bit?  Well, Nick told me last year sometime that he left Hollywood for an appointment in the Obama administration.  I kind of half didn't believe him, but it's true.  He is currently the Associate Director of the White House Office of Public Engagement and we happened to see him in the hallway of the EEOB.  He's not exactly who I imagined my first government celebrity sighting would be, but I'll totally take it.  Also, he's a lot taller than I expected.

1 comment:

  1. Do these incredible things happen more frequently to you than the rest of us, or are we only less aware of them?

    ReplyDelete