Friday, December 18, 2009

professionalism vs. cookie handshakes

On Wednesday we took a field trip to the University of Maryland Baltimore Health Sciences and Human Services Library.  That library serves as the Regional Medical Library for the Southeastern Atlantic Region of the U.S.  That probably won't really mean anything to most of you, but it's basically one of 8 hub libraries in the U.S. that coordinate Heatlh Information Outreach from the NLM to their area.  In other words, it's a pretty big deal.  The library itself is actually totally gorgeous and has a lot of mid-century modern touches to the architecture and the furniture.  Highlights include the longest contiguous stairway in Baltimore. 

 view from 2nd floor
At the top there is a paned glass windowo that has one small square of red glass.  It is situated in such a way that if it is clear on the Winter Solstice (December 21st) a red light will line up directly with the stairs and reach all the way down to the bottom floor.  

That's so Indiana Jones....

The library has other little charming quirks in its design as well, such as a lovely floating bridge over the main entrance

And a reference/circulation desk roughly in the shape of question mark
 

I think it was probably one of the nicest modern libraries I've evern been in.
The director of the library M.J. Tooey is just so nice and gave us her personal tour of the library.  She is a former president of the Medical Library Association and also a big deal in the medical library world.  After the tour they provided lunch for us and invited the staff of the library to come and eat with us.  

Normally I find these types of situations incredibly awkward, but the two ladies I was seated with were just so nice and chatty.  They made it really easy for me to talk to them and I even felt like I ended up asking a few good questions.  I even remembered to give them both my business card!  I was so excited because this is the first time I've ever handed out my card in a real professional situation.  I was feeling pretty great about how I had carried myself through the whole situation.

We had been so chatty that I actually hadn't had time to get any dessert so as our group was leaving, I walked by the buffet and picked up a couple of cookies and a napkin.  Immediately after I picked up the cookies MJ walked over to say goodbye.  As I thanked her for their hospitality she reached out, and without really thinking about it I transfered the cookies to my left hand and then shook her hand without wiping off the crumbs off of my fingers.  I totally gave her a gritty handshake full of sugar crystals and cookie crumbs.  She didn't really react because she is a total pro, but I did see her subtly wipe her hand off a second later.  I guess I still have a ways to go before I'm a total professional.

1 comment:

  1. ahhhhhhhhahahaha. i love it! Im totally that girl who would shake someone's hand with cookie crumbs all over them. while its not good in your situation, you still made me proud.

    ReplyDelete