Tuesday, December 15, 2009

ageism

One of the weird cultural things I've found in D.C. is that everybody here seems pretty job-oriented,  ambitious, and all about what they want to do, which is change/rule the world.  All in all it seems like a pretty A-type kind of town and there are probably more 25 year olds with a closet full of suits here than anywhere else in the States.  I tend to be a bit more casual about my life and dress (although I did have to buy a couple of big girl suits for work, a fact I still think is incredibly weird), which causes people to have some interesting assumptions about me, especially if any tattoos are visible.  This town isn't quite as tatted up as Philly, that's for sure.  Well, at least I haven't seen many tattoos that aren't kanji or tribal tramp stamps.  9 out of 10 times when I am in public and back is visible a stranger will come up and ask me about my tattoo often assuming I am an aritst.


Anyhow, I know that many white people find it very difficult to accurately determine the general age range of any of my people.  We tend to look either very young and/or ageless.  I find that I get carded here a lot, which I admit, could be due to the increased vigilance of bartender/bouncers here in comparison to Philly.  However, the fact that I look young and 'dress young' by D.C. standards tends to lead people to think I'm wayyy younger than I am.  Last week I went to see Ninja Assassin, an R rated film, and got CARDED while buying my ticket.  First of all, who even does that and secondly, you have to 17 to see an R rated film unaccompanied by a parent.  17!  While I almost find that flattering, there's no way anyone could possibly think I am that young.  Who knew it would take me until 30 to start looking like jail bait.

2 comments:

  1. 1. Whose tribal tramp stamps have you been inspecting? Diiiish.

    2. Maybe next time you go to the movie theater, in order to avoid embarrassment, just bring a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey holly! people are still telling me, almost on a weekly basis, that I look about 16ish. I'll be 30 in may. Eeek. I suppose it's better than getting mistaken for being 40.

    ReplyDelete